Wednesday, July 18, 2012

One dark night

Current location: Dillon, CO
Total miles traveled: 6,123 miles

Oh good gracious, I am so glad to have my behind parked in a hotel. We rode literally all stinking day on that motorcycle. Don't get me wrong, I love that bike, and I never get sore/tired of it, but after 11 hours of bouncing, I was tired of sitting down.

The sights we saw today between Utah and Colorado were stunning. What I love about this part of the country is the fact that there are diverse mountains covering the highway. If you look in one direction, there are mountains with loose rocks. On the other side, there are mountains covered in bushes. Other mountains are smooth and wavy, and remind me of elephant skin. There are cliffs, valleys, rivers, and streams. It's just breathtaking. I can't imagine living here and having this view on my daily commute.

Now, the weather was crazy. We left Cedar City while it was still very cold. It was so chilly that I had my sweatshirt on and I was bundled up behind Ricky. After we traveled down the mountain. It bagan to warm up quickly. It was so quickly in fact that I made Ricky pull over so I could take my sweatshirt off. It was like having menopause on te motorcycle!

We are spending the night in a ski resort town and let me tell you, they are proud of their hotel rooms here! We drove 60+ miles just to find a room that was under $130. Really, people? There isn't even snow on the ground!

While we were traveling around 9:30 tonight, something crazy and scary happened. Picture this, we are driving along, going about 75 mph and all of a sudden I hear sccccccreeeeeeeeettttch! Oh my gosh, we are having an accident. We are on a mountain, in the dark, in the middle of nowhere, and Ricky is slamming on brakes. My heart started pounding and I felt my knees began to buckle. I gasped for breath. I felt us begin to go off the road and begin to run over the rumble strips off the highway. I closed my eyes and prepared for impact. Then, we stopped. I opened my eyes and quickly realized that we hadn't had an accident and we hadn't gone off the mountain. My first instinct was that we either lost our bag (which is in dire condition), or had something go wrong with the bike, maybe a flat tire. I leaned in and asked "what's wrong, honey?" He pointed and said "look, look, look!" There was the biggest deer I think I have ever seen. Wow. We almost hit that massive deer. Now, hitting a deer on a car is bad, but hitting a deer on a bike is simply catastrophic. There is no way that we would have survived comfortably hitting a deer at 75 miles an hour. It was one scary dark night, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment