Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Monsoon Part II

Current location: Cedar City, UT
Total miles traveled: 5,594 miles

Good SUNNY morning from somewhereville, UT! We did not travel very far yesterday because we hit another (yes!) monsoon during our travels yesterday. We stayed in Vegas about 1/2 the day yesterday and when we finally got going, we seriously regretted our delay. Within the first 40 miles, the sky started to darken. Jokingly, I told Ricky that we picked the wrong time to ride since it looked like part II of monsoon end-of-the-world was upon us. I thought I was just being funny, but low and behold, it began to rain cats and dogs again. We quickly found a bridge to hide under, but of course, it was a one way bridge so each of the 4 times that a car came, we had to move over to let them pass. About 20 minutes into our hideout, the bridge started to flood. Picture this: Here I am sitting on the bike with my feet in the air because of the flood, and Ricky a few feet away in the only dry spot left under the bridge. We were there forever. It was literally at least an hour and a half. I even had time to squeeze in a nap. It's a good thing we stopped though because we barely got wet. Compared to Sunday when we spent most of the day wet, cold, and uncomfortable, it was a worthwhile trade off.

Funny story for today. We get almost to the Nevada stateline in Mesquite, and Ricky tells me to get my camera ready because we are about to cross into Utah. Imagine my surprise when we see the state sign, but it doesn't say Utah. Instead, it has Arizona written on it. Oh heck! I said oh my gosh, we are lost, aren't we? We took a wrong turn and lord, now we are in the wrong state! Ricky was also very confused and concerned but we kept driving. A quick 15 miles later, we crossed another line... This time to Utah. Hahaha! We were happy to be back on track and found. :) Let me tell you buddy,this part if the country is gorgeous. Rocky, gigantic mountains and multicolored rocks make the landscape unforgettable.

All we could really do after that as just ride, ride, ride until it got too cold and dark. We rode until almost 9 (and lost an hour to mountain time!) and stopped at a very nice quality inn here in cedar city. Hint: when traveling, stop at truckstops to get room saver coupon books. We save about $20 each night with these and usually the discounts are deeper than my favorite website, Priceline. We stayed here for $55 and the three guys in front of me paid $85 with their AAA discount. It's a secret way to save big money!

Maybe tonight we will finally make it to Colorado or further. One can dream for perfect weather, right?

1 comment:

  1. I am so enjoying your blog! You will have so much to share with your students! Sending hugs to both of you!

    ReplyDelete