Friday, July 13, 2012

Just plain smog

Current location: Los Angeles, CA
Total miles traveled: 4,873 miles

Good morning from Los Angeles! Today has been one of a kind. We left our hotel and set out in the freezing cold weather. As soon as we passed SF, the temperature rose substantially. In fact, it was well over 100 degrees no more than 15 minutes after we passed SF.

If you have never been to California let me tell you, parts are absolutely beautiful, but most of it is just plain gross. We stopped at a gas station and I practically had to take a bath in the sink to wipe all the black smog from my face and arms. It was so gross. Then, when it came time to shower, the water ran black for several minutes because of all the smog in my hair. I don't know how people in California have clear skin.

About half way through our trip, we stopped a target to buy some laundry detergent. As soon as we walked in the door, I realized that they had a Dr. Seuss section which meant I was in trouble! Ricky called the target at home who said that they did not have these products so almost $100 later, we were searching for a post office to mail school supplies home.

The ride was nearly snooze worthy because the journey between SF and LA is very, very BORING! It reminds me of Kansas with it's flat lands and little farms. Also, there was an overpowering smell of cow rear end. It was alright though because you know what a boring drive means -- I used my brain to come up with a creative Seuss themed wish list for next year, as well as a room design. Ha, and they said I wouldn't get anything done!

Finally, as I sit here in the lobby finishing this blog, I am struck by the fact that I am the only English speaker. I hear mostly Spanish, but I do also hear one family speaking French. Odd though, for sure, that I am the minority.

Pictures soon, but not today because even though it is 2012 and we are in the middle of one of the busiest places in the world, we have no in-room internet. There is also no laundry even though the website clearly states that there are laundry facilities on site. Tomorrow, we will spend the day downtown. We were supposed to go to Disneyland, but since it will be rainy all weekend, we will scratch it from our list for now! :)

3 comments:

  1. Raining in LA in the summertime??? That's nearly unheard of! Did you guys take the 1 or the 101 down to Los Angeles? Did you stop and see my dad? Did you go through San Luis Obispo? Next time you guys go to CA, I totally recommend stopping in Morro Bay and kayaking in the harbor. It's fun, cheap, and you'll see tons of seals and can go out to the sand dunes and play. Best part: no smog =). Just smelly seaweed. Can you tell I'm super stoked about my home? LOL. Anyways, have fun in LA. Sorry it's raining on your trip (freaky, I'm telling you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! We were there die the one rain storm of the year, it seems. We will definitely have to do that next time. :) We did not get to visit this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During! Autocorrect loves to make me look like an idiot!

      Delete